My love for makeup is as intense as it is for good skincare. I did used to enjoy buying more colour (lipsticks, blushes etc) but now I’m all about perfecting my base, If you ask about my wishlist, you’d hear more about base makeup and skincare. By base its not just Foundation and concealer, I feel a good primer is also as important as your foundation.
Choice of primer is personal and depends on your skin type and needs. ‘First, figure out whether you have oily, dry or combination skin. Then, choose a primer that is suited for those needs. Once you’ve got the right formula, apply the primer after your moisturizer. “It’s like waterproofing your skin,” says Jim Hammer, a cosmetic chemist at Pharmasol Labs in Easton, Mass.
I’m more of a dewy skin look person and matte finish on my skin just doesn’t look attractive. I have had Chanel Illuminating Base Primer on wishlist for ages and Notino was kind enough to send me this primer to test on my combination to dry skin. I have been enjoying using this primer in different ways lately and can finally share my thoughts.
This foundation base by Chanel is an iconic favorite of professional makeup artists for the following reasons:
- Instantly illuminates the complexion with a subtle halo of light and perfectly evens out the skin’s texture.
- Facilitates the application of foundation and prolongs its hold.
- Multi-use – it offers numerous makeup results.
Packaging: This comes in a luxurious weighted glass bottle with frosted finish. This has a pump which gives an extra point for convenience. The cap is black with classic Chanel logo on top.
Texture: This is slightly runny white colored primer but it won’t make your skin ashy if you are medium, olive or dark skin. The primer sinks into the skin and doesn’t feel sticky.
How to use: Le Blanc De Chanel – Illuminating Base may be applied in numerous ways, using fingertips or a brush.
• As a foundation base: Apply Le Blanc De Chanel to the entire face to even out and smooth away imperfections.
• As a concealer: conceal redness and dark circles by applying Le Blanc De Chanel directly to the areas requiring correction.
• As an illuminating base: add a drop of Le Blanc De Chanel to your foundation prior to application or directly to skin underneath foundation.
• As a radiance booster: after applying foundation, enhance your makeup result by using Le Blanc De Chanel to add touches of light to key facial areas (forehead, chin).
• Witch hazel extract to reduce the appearance of pores
• Silica and mica powders of mineral origin to mattify the complexion
• Liquorice extract to even out the skin’s texture
• A moisturizing complex to restore softness and absolute comfort.
Price: This illuminating base is available for £36.90 at Notino website.
Overall thoughts: I was expecting this to be too glowy/slightly shimmery like some of the other illuminating primers in the market but this one gives a subtle, healthy and radiant glow. This white translucent primer doesn’t make skin look ashy and sinks into the skin giving a luminous glow. Makeup sits really well on this and this does not make me look shiny/oily. If you have oily skin, i do not think it will make you look oilier. This also doubles up as a concealer to hide away redness, as a light foundation to even out skin or soft illuminator to boost radiance. This can also be mixed with liquid foundations to give a dewy look to your skin. This blurs out slight imperfections and is perfect for spring/summer when we all want that healthy glow. This is definitely a good investment that pays instant returns if you’re thinking to buy. You’d love how your skin will look with this.
Have you tried Le Blanc de Chanel before? Which primer do you like most? Would you try this illuminating base by Chanel? Let me know in the comments below.