Like most women, I want my nails to be long, strong and pretty. However, mommy life has different expectations. I do not have problem in growth of nails but they definitely are not strong enough to get through minor hiccups in day to day life.
Nails are prone to scrapes and damage than any other feature of our hands but that damage can be treated and fixed with some wonderful treatments.
- Broken Nail – The best way to make your hands look good when one of the nails is broken is to clip the broken one short and then clip rest of the nails to match it. Uneven length nails look odd and draw unnecessary attention. Short nails can also look pretty. You can paint them in dark colours like red blood or black gel polish but I do like neutrals too.
- Rough Cuticles – Oil is the best remedy for rough cuticles. If your cuticles are rough, slather them in oil before bathing, then push them back gently with an orange stick, available everywhere. I am loving Renunail Nourishing Oil* | £11 which is formulated with the best essential oils and Vitamin A & E to nourish cuticles and nails. This oil contains soothing oils and herbal extracts and can be applied as often as required. You just need to gently massage this oil into cuticles and nails for approximately one minute. Results can be seen in just few days of regular use of this oil. Who doesn’t love results-driven products!
- Splits – Splits can be due to permanent nail damage (in which case you should consider keeping your nails short and use nail strengthener like RenuNail nail strengthener* | £17.50) or more often due to dry nails and cuticles (RenuNail nourishing oil will come handy here). You might consider massaging your nails with the nourishing oil every night before bed to keep them well nourished and moisturized.
RenuNail Nail strengthener is fortified with Calcium and is a superior treatment for promoting stronger, longer & healthier looking nails. All you have to do is apply 2 coats of this nail strengthener onto clean nails avoiding cuticle area, and then one coat daily for the next 5 days. On the 7th day, remove with nail polish remover. Repeat the process another 3 times. Each program lasts for 28 days. Allow your nails to rest for 1-2 weeks between programs. Follow massaging your nails and cuticles with nourishing oil after each application. Nourishing oil is also recommended to be used during the 1-2 weeks rest period.
- Ridges – These are most common and can be fixed using the buffer tool available at all beauty stores, departmental stores or chemists. If the ridges are deep, they are usually down to nail damage and will probably always appear at same place. These can be fixed with base coat of ridge filler. Using nail strengthening treatment can also help in long run.
- Colour chipping too fast – We all have faced this issue atleast couple of times in our life. Quality of nail polish is important and if the polish is too thick, its likely to be chipped. It is better to scrape excess polish off the brush onto the neck of the nail polish to avoid this problem.
- Removing glitter polish – Removing glitter polishes can be a nightmare. Let the polish remover soak into the glitter. The polish will work to slowly loosen the glitter’s grip on your nail, helping you to wipe it all off in one swift swipe. Let the cotton ball sit on your nail for a few minutes.
- Weak/Bendy nails – A strengthening nail treatment with calcium always helps. These are available easily everywhere. My favourite is definitely
Dr LeWinn’s Renunail Nail Strengthener, a superior nail care treatment to harden and protect natural nails. This is fortified with calcium and helps restore nails damaged from nail extensions and can be used as a base coat and/or top coat. You should see an improvement with in a month.
- Peeling/Flaking – Peeling or Flaking is usually due to very dry nails. Investing in a good nail oil and using it twice a day or every night before bed helps. Also make sure you apply a rich hand cream after every hand wash and whenever you’re outside in cold weather. You should see difference within 3 weeks.
- Nail Biting – Bitten nails look so ugly and you should stop! Best way is to use gel nail polish as it sets hard and biting nails will get difficult plus your nails will look pretty that you won’t want them to look unattractive.
Hope this post will help you sort out your nail problems. Let me know if you want me to cover any specific topic.
Note: Renunail products are also available at Tesco Beautyworld.
Until next time
Products marked with * were kindly sent to me as PR gift but my opinions are genuine and unbiased.