Many of us love long skincare routines and product layering but sometimes few ingredients just don’t work together. I have also learnt hard way and had my share of mistakes and still learning – always good to learn more! We all have different tolerance levels but there are certain things that should be avoided using together so they do not cause any irritation or breakouts.
- Manual Exfoliation (Konjac Sponge/Sonic Brushes/Exfoliating Scrub) + Chemical Exfoliation ( AHA, BHA, Salicylic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid/ dermabrasion/Peel ). Make sure to use 1 exfoliant at a time. Over exfoliation may leave your skin parched, irritated and very sensitive.
- Acne/spot treatments (Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide) + Chemical Exfoliants (AHA, BHA)- Use the products on alternate days so you can get benefit instead of inflamation]
- Vitamin C ( L–Ascorbic Acid ) + Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) – Some products do come with both these ingredients – mixing both can convert it to Niacin or changing its colour to dark orange. I suggest doing a sensitivity test and play it safe. If you feel any sensitivity, avoid using it together. Always remember to wear SPF during the day when you use Vit C.
- Vitamin C + Benzoyl Peroxide + Chemical Exfoliants ( AHA, BHA) – If used together, pH level gets disturbed causing irritation or burning sensation on skin. Vitamin C products should be used with Vitamin E]
- Benzoyl Peroxide (acne treatment) + Retinols (anti-ageing treatment)
The skincare products in the above picture work wonders for your skin individually but some things just don’t work together.
Though skincare is all about trial and error. What works for you, may not work for me and vice-a-versa but the above combinations if avoided will surely help.
Until next time, Ashh xo